Aug 2, 2009

River Boat

This weekend you and I took a boat ride with Grandma Suzanne and Grandpa Dale, and it was a first for both of us - our first trip up the Chicago River! You were pretty excited from the get-go.
From River Boat Ride


I think you were mostly excited about driving the boat, since you declared confidently that Grandpa Dale was going to let you drive, since you already knew how to steer! We took a water taxi to their boat, and you had the whole contingent in stitches by the time we got out there and then wasted no time getting in some practice while Grandpa Dale got the boat ready.

I dunno, do you think you were excited?

It didn't take long for you to settle in to your comfort zone, which is to say you had strong opinions as to where we should go and how fast we should get there.

We cruised by Navy Pier, checking out the Ferris wheel and big boats.

And finally it was time for the big time! You reminded Grandpa you were ready to drive anytime, and he took you up on it. I think it took you about 0.001 seconds to make it to the captain's chair, and for once you took your instructions very seriously!

I love this shot, not only because one of my favorite ships on the lake looks as though it is coming about to board us (you can't really see the pirate flags on the masts)! But here you are driving along, so seriously, barely able to see over the console of the boat! Too funny!

You and Grandma Suzanne were hanging out on the front of the boat checking out the birds, and we were getting ready to head into the Chicago Harbor Lock and access the river...

We waited in the lock for a few minutes, as they pumped out enough water to equalize the two foot differential in height, opened the gates on the other side, and we were ready to cruise the river at sunset! While we were waiting, some ducks came by and you talked to them. Oh, and by this point you had declared yourself captain of this vessel, and had offered me the slot of first matey. I was thrilled!


Here is what looks like the Parkshore, growing out of the top of a river boat!

And here's quite a view - among others the Tribune building, the newly finished Trump building... You were mostly impressed by the yellow boat!

We were gliding through the loop, at once faster *and* slower than I'd ever been through it before. Heading under the major streets of Chicago without stoplights was fun. I love this shot as it looks as though you're addressing your fans who have arrived on the bridge to cheer you on!

You really can't take enough pictures of River City, these towers were old school when I was your age but they never disappoint.

And finally, as the light was fading, a cool shot of the El crossing the river... It was way past your bedtime but *so* much fun to cruise the river at sunset!
From River Boat Ride

There are many other pictures in the gallery, click the link above to check them out. You were drained by the time we got back, but still excited about driving the boat and seeing all the tall buildings. Actually, just about driving the boat! I don't think it would have mattered for you where we were, but it sure made for a spectacular backdrop on your first boat driving lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment