May 14, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

This one goes out (albeit late) to all the moms out there, especially yours...
From Mothers Day

Since your mom had to work on that freelance project, we helped her out by running around just the two of us on Saturday. On Sunday, though, it was Mother's Day! We started out with breakfast in bed for Mom, and then we loaded up Mom's car with all the biking gear and headed for Stanford. You know what they have a lot of on the Stanford campus? Fountains!

We took you to several fountains, and you threw coins in most of them. And at this one, we even asked a nice lady to take our picture, so we could have all three of us at once.

Then it was time for you to get down to business.

At this point, you are twice as efficient, with two pennies at once!

Needless to say, two pennies at once requires a great deal of concentration and coordination, it is not for the faint at heart.

Your dad is magic, somehow he makes pennies appear from behind your ear! This usually brings a smile to your face, because it is another penny you get to throw into a fountain.

After throwing the correct number of pennies in one spot (the optimal number varies by the spot itself, the time of day, the weather, and several other complex factors) it is time to uproot, and go in search of the next spot from which to throw your pennies.

Along the way, you are very cute. I know this is a surprising statement coming from me, but it is totally true! See, check it out:

Afterwards, you guys packed up the car and I took a bike ride around campus, then rode home. I learned a lot along the way, like the location of the Guitar Hero tournament!

Really, though, it is an amazing time to be in California. EVERYTHING is blooming, and it is blooming like crazy. For a long time now your Mom has really liked the 'wedgie fries' that grow everywhere like weeds here. Well now that they are blooming in bright red (and purple and white and blue), they are even more spectacular, especially set against the backdrop of the omnipresent eucalyptus tree...

I was starting to take a few other macro shots when I noticed the bee cruising around, so I tried to get a few shots of the whole point of all these blooms in the first place, the pollen cycle itself and the bees (or in this case bee) trying to do their part.

This shot would have been completely awesome, except for the fact that the bee started feeling embarrassed and decided to hide herself behind this flower.

When taking shots of the bee I then discovered this little guy (lady?) on the underside of another leaf. Abundant nature in this side road median!

It was nice, I have a whole gallery of pictures like this:

so I'll put a slide show at the bottom of this post in case you want to take a look at Spring in California.

Anyway, that's not all we did for the day. You and I played outside, and it was big fun, and of course I took pictures. But I'll leave that for another post. In real time, your mom just gave you a bath and is trying to get some food down before beddy. You are not exactly cooperating here either. So I'm going to go help get you to beddy, because you are a tired little pumpkin today after gymnastics, and a walk, and goodness knows what else! I hope you had fun riding bikes with us, and big thanks to your Mom for being so nice and taking such good care of you...

UPDATE - you went down pretty easy. Thanks for that! Here's a link to the gallery of spring bloom shots, if you are curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment