Maya, we often tell you that we'd like you to stop growing up, to not get any bigger, to maybe turn 3 or 4 on your next birthday instead of 5. This generally gets you very upset, and you insist that you want to get bigger and you want to be 5, then 6, and maybe even 7 and 8 after that. But some days, I'm not joking. Some days, I really do wish you'd just stop growing.
Take "that" for example. You have been working very hard on your 'th' sound, and just like everything else you actually put effort into, you are doing a fantastic job. "Dat" has turned into "That", and "Der" into "There", and "Dees" into "These". And it really hit me, once again, these changes. I'm not ever going to hear you say "What's dat over dere?" again. Really, really, really, could you just stop growing for a little bit, please?
As you see from the picture, Violet is starting to crawl. Or about to start crawling, really, she's been working on it for a week or so but she isn't quite mobile yet. But this post is more about you, how you are growing up so fast and how proud of you I am. And how I'd also like you to cut it out, with the growing.
Today was the last day of swimming lessons, and you jumped off the diving board. Twice! At the beginning of the summer, you were still more like that three-year-old Maya from last summer, needing water wings and a swim vest and really not wanting to venture out of the baby pool. But every day you've been in the water you've gotten better and better, and while you were awfully proud of yourself for jumping off the diving board today, Mom and Dad are even more so. It was a big day for you, and while I'm so excited for you I just have one little question. Please, please please please, just stop growing up, just for a little while?

Awesome post, per usual.
ReplyDelete(Dem der are some very lucky little girls!)
Happy almost-birthday! :D