Aug 19, 2010

Excited Yet Terrified

That pretty much sums up the day for me, taking Maya to her first car/racing event. The Monterey historic races provided a great opportunity, so on Saturday I would indoctrinate you. Would you like it? Would you want to leave after 10 minutes and go play? Would you be at all interested in any of it? And of course, more practical matters (at least to Mom) such as, could I keep you safe? Fed? Hydrated? Safe?

From Monterey Historic Races 2010

As it happened, there was no need to worry. Not only were you safe, you were indeed engaged. We practically had to drag you out of there before the last race was over, and you had declared 'Number Nine' (above) your favorite car of the race. That car, by the way, is perhaps one of the most significant racing cars Ferrari ever built. Good eye.

Anyway, my terror and excitement came to a peak when we were walking past the classic Formula One cars. They were in the regular paddock, as opposed to the rest of the cars (including the 250 GT Testarossa) which were all out in the open. I was trying to take pictures of a very significant McLaren from the early 80's, driven by Alain Prost. In fact, I was taking this picture:



The guy whose elbow was in the frame saw I was struggling to get a decent picture of the car, apologized, and invited me into the garage. Along with a very charged up Maya. Gulp. Doesn't show well in the photo, but the engine cowling is off, as are other large parts of the body, and there are tiny pieces everywhere. Not to mention carbon fiber bits that are now more than 20 years old. *NOT* the place to have Maya decide to play, well, anything whatsoever. So I was a bit overwhelmed in the garage. Regardless, we managed a photo of Maya meeting her first Formula One car close up, a car I remember watching race as a kid no less.



There were many, many, many other great cars there as well. And many great Maya moments. Like you posing in front of the mirror-finish Aston Martin, completely oblivious to the 1930's era racers driving up the paddock behind you. I'm so glad you had a good time, not only sticking with it but complaining loudly to be 'leaving early' after a full day in the sun, at the track, and climbing rocks and hills at the top of the Laguna Seca corkscrew. In fact, your complaints of leaving were the only complaints heard all day! Good times.

Vacation was great, from meeting up with the Zurbanos at Monterey Bay Aquarium to meeting up with the San Francisco crew in Potrero Hill we charged up and down Northern California. I will post more on the vacation later, but wanted to say thanks to Mom for (number one) the 'birthday present' of a vacation to California and to the Monterey Historics specifically, and (number two) for the chance to introduce Maya beyond the TV to race cars, race tracks, and racing. Oh, and (number three) to Maya for liking it this much. What an awesome day. Click on the first pic to look around the gallery, I literally took 1000 photos that weekend alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment