One day, I took you for a ride in mommy's silver car down to Grandma Suzanne's House, which is in one of the tall buildings with green glass right downtown. Grandpa Dale wanted to take a bike ride, so we were keen to join him. Grandpa Dale likes taking you on bike rides, and you seem to have a really good time. In fact, we've got one coming up with him this weekend! Well this ride we started from their house, and headed down the lake shore towards Soldier Field...
We passed some folks that made me feel like we were back in Palo Alto, enjoying a nice spirited match of Segway Polo...
You got to check out a dinosaur, and thought that was really cool (he looks like Ice Cream, your Brontosaurus)...
You got to ride past an enormous rock.
And then it was over to the kid's park for some serious climbing. Grandpa Dale was sure you could get to the top on your own... And that's just what you did!
In addition to finding some rocks to climb...
Then it was off to see Buckingham Fountain. As many times as I've been right down there, I'd never actually been up to that darned fountain before! So it was pretty cool to take you there, you weren't scared of it like you were The Lake in Las Vegas That Turned Into A Fountain With A Strom And Made Me Scared (aka the Bellagio), this one you were fully into.
How is this for a classic Chicago picture?
It was a lot of fun... And totally different than a few days later, when we headed out to Naperville. Grammy and Grampy took us out to breakfast, and then to a forest preserve with a lake out by their house to take a walk. You love walking with Grampy.
This picture, I dunno, this picture just makes me laugh. You are one funny kid, you know it? We were walking around the lake, looking for frogs and for good pine cones and acorns, and you were being really cute.
And then when you saw all the boats lined up in the sand, well, forgetaboutit. We had to take a break from our walk and let you play for a while...
At one end of the lake all the algae was congregating, and it gave a new (well old) definition to the term 'going green'!
That's it for the Grandpa update... Now where are my New Buffalo pictures? Oh my gosh we got some good ones, even though the SLR is in the shop... So there are two posts that have been long overdue, but I'm determined to get us caught up before Halloween and your birthday...
By the way you are still loving Oak Park, and your posse of friends, and you are even starting to like 'Kid Club' at mom's gym. But what you are really liking is digging in the back yard. You planted a 'tree' yesterday, which is really a stick in a bucket filled with dirt. I had to get you a metal garden trowel, because after you hit the bottom of the wood chips and got into some real dirt you came to me with your plastic shovel and informed me "this digger doesn't work anymore dad, I need a new one". Problem solved...
You are also getting really good on your trike. To the point of taking rides around the block! We got you a bell for your handlebars, and sometimes when I'm up in my office on our top floor, I hear a subtle 'ding.... ding.... ding.... ding...' and I know you are coming back home from a little ride. It is too much.
Progress on the house, too... Furniture, rugs, hanging up pictures. One corner of the house, cautiously scraped to see 'how bad' the wood was underneath turned out to be a huge time sink of a project, but we're finally almost done. Good timing too, Mike and Ingrid and Gabriel are coming over for dinner Saturday night and Grandma Suzanne and Grandpa Dale are coming out on Sunday!
We went to the Arboretum last weekend with Grammy and Aunt Gina, and I got some great pictures there - it was a really nice place and we'll take you back for sure. But first I have to find those darned pictures of Michigan Beach!! Better get digging...
No comments:
Post a Comment